Tuesday, January 19, 2010

gaining my 3.1

I recently glanced through an inspirational blog about my peer's journey to lose several pounds. It was well titled: losing76lbs. While I was huffing and puffing in my tennis shoes this evening, I formulated my own title: gainingmy3.1. My goal is not to lose weight. My goal is to run. Something that I've thought impossible for the last 24 years. Even when my weight was much lower my first year of college, this goal was a long stretch. And I really didn't have a huge determination for it then. That's for runners. Not for fatties. Or people just getting by. Not for normal people! Well, I decided a few months ago that 2010 is the Year of Marsha. I'm still not entirely sure what that means but I'm buckling my seatbelt. My first hurdle is running in a 5k. Now I am sure that the first time my feet hit the pavement I will not be able to run the entire thing. That's okay. I just want to finish. Maybe the next time, maybe the next next time. But sometime this year, I will run a 5k. Something deemed impossible by the old Marsha. I know that I will need to lose weight along the way. It's inevitable. I can't pack around these extra pounds in order to succeed at this but it isn't my goal. It is just a means to my goal. There are lots of other things I will have to do along this eclectic quest. I will continue to try new and healthier foods. I will become more dedicated about exercising my body. I will care for my body. And the list goes on.

I am important. I must take care of myself. God made me for a purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment